The following women will compete in the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim starting
at 9:00 pm on August 20th (9:00 pm New York time on August 19th). It is
going to be an incredibly exciting race to the finish.Who do
you think is going to win? Larisa Ilchenko has not lost a world
championship race in the 5K or 10K since 2004, but her top competitors
from Cassandra Patten and Chloe Sutton to Natalie du Toit and Edith van
Dijk have other plans.
Vote for your gold medal favorite.
Note: the swimmers are listed in the order they qualified for the Olympics.
1. Larisa Ilchenko, Russia
2. Cassandra Patten, Great Britain
3. Yurema Requena, Spain
4. Natalie du Toit, South Africa
5. Jana Pechanova, Czech Republic
6. Poliana Okimoto, Brazil
7. Angela Maurer, Germany
8. Keri-Anne Payne, Great Britain
9. Aurelie Muller, France
10. Ana Marcela Cunha, Brazil
11. Edith Van Dijk, Netherlands
12. Yanquiao Fang, China
13. Andreina Pinto, Venezuela
14. Melissa Gorman, Australia
15. Chloe Sutton, USA
16. Martina Grimaldi, Italy
17. Marianna Lymperta, Greece
18. Nataliya Samorodina, Ukraine
19. Kristel Kobrich, Chile
20. Imelda Martinez, Mexico
21. Eva Berglund, Sweden
22. Teja Zupan, Slovakia
23. Antonella Bogarin, Argentina
24. Daniela Inacio, Portugal
25. Olga Beresneva, Israel*
Olga Beresneva of Israel did not meet the Olympic qualification
standards of her national federation, so she may be replaced by another
swimmer to be named later.
Who do you think will win? Vote on the poll on the left.
by Javier Blazquez at the 2008 World Open Water Swimming Championships
with silver medalist Cassandra Patten, gold medalist Larisa Ilchenko
and bronze medalist Yurema Requena pictured from left to right.